Thursday, May 13, 2010

Toyota Prius - Great despite recent problems

We recently moved further away from my work, which obviously increased my commute to work each day. I've been thinking about getting a more fuel-efficient vehicle for a while now. I owned a Chrysler 300, which was a good car, but got less than 20 MPG.

The recent move and subsequent increase in gas made me start looking a lot more seriously at trading in my car.

I really had my eye on the new Aptera...

But it didn't look like there would be one available in my area anytime soon.

Then I considered waiting around for the Chevy Volt (despite my confusion and anger about GM and the old EV-1 vehicle debacle).


Again, the actual production date seemed to keep slipping out.

Another concern I had was the risk of getting the "first" version of any new vehicle, especially one with new technology or features. I didn't want to be in the shop more than on the road.

Ironically, many of the recent problems with the Toyota Prius made me consider getting one, since I thought I could get a good deal on a used one (assuming all the recall upgrades have been installed and fixed the issues).

I was able to find a good deal on a 2008 Prius, with 25,000 miles for around $16,000 (less than Blue Book value). That was more affordable than I imagined, since my perception was that a used Prius would still be in the low to mid-20s.

I've had the car for one month, and I have no complaints. Except one.

I had a hard time getting it started. I didn't realize that you had to have your foot on the brake, otherwise it wouldn't start. I almost had it towed, thinking something was wrong. Since it is partly electric, the push button start and lack of running motor when stopped have taken a little getting used to.

I'll give you my numbers, to show you how affordable one might be, and hopefully you'll look into it as well.
With my trade-in and amount owed, I had to pay an extra $1000, so it cost me $17,000 total, but that was less per month (about $70) than I was paying now (due to good interest rates on late model vehicles right now).

In addition, I am saving money at the pump. I have been averaging 45 MPG, so I'm cutting my gas costs in half (about $50 per month). Most importantly, I'm cutting my carbon footprint and emissions.

So overall, I have a newer vehicle, I've reduced my footprint (compared to what I would be emitting with my new commute distance), and I'm saving over $100 per month.

No comments: